Sunday, June 8, 2008

Graduation 2008

Saturdays grooms and dogs turned quickly into Sundays graduates. e and I debarked the hotel and had brunch at the Galleria. Then it was off to Matthews Arena where Boston Latin Academy graduated their class of 2008. Our favorite member of the class, Michaela Marin was graduated with the rest of the youngsters turned loose to the world this June. Good luck class of 2008.

This is one of the first high school graduations I have been to since my own. I wish I could say I found myself waxing nostalgic about that June day 20 years ago. But alas no, there have been far more momentous and valuable moments in my life since then. What I did not hear from the stage on this day and this could be largely because we seated ourselves poorly for the sound system, was a speech which told the kids the following. So here is how my high school graduation speech would go.

Graduates, kids, friends, while this may seem like a tremendous and pivotal day in your existence, your new responsibility is to make a life that makes this day seem trite, pretentious and meaningless. Now that you have arrived here do not let this day be a highlight of your life. Go get um.

No comments: